Disclaimer: This blog does not reflect the opinions and policies of the Peace Corps, the University of South Florida (USF), the U.S. government, or the government of Mali

Monday, August 10, 2009

Site Assigments!!

Today after our language and mid-training tests we received our site assignments!! I'm both nervous and excited.

Where?
-region: Koulikoro (the captial, Bamako, is in this region). If you want to know more details, I can send you an e-mail or call because of safety and security reasons.

Who?
-population: 700
-homologue (who I will meet tomorrow and will help me with my service and projects) is Jena/Jean Claude and holds a few positions in village associations and cooperatives. He is married and has two wives and 10 children (4 girls). He is fluent in Bambara and French.
-Closest PCV I know of so far is only 8k from me. He is also a WATSAN volunteer.
-There are some pretty cool PCTs and PCVs in my region that I am happy about including the current president of GAD :)

What?
-a new site, I will be their first volunteer
-language: Bambara
-2 pumps, one broken
-6 wells, only three covered
-basic pit latrines and no soak pits
-I will live in a "concession" with a family but have my own room
-no cell phone access unless you bike out 7k but there is a satallite phone

When?/How?
I will leave for my site this Sunday to visit for a week. I was told to bring my bike since I will be dropped off at a station and then need to bike to my village. Thus, I need to pack lite for that first stay...

No comments:

Post a Comment